Re: parts wanted

Steve Wells

Hi Richard,

I posted to your e-mail also, for a backup contact.

Richard,

I’ve uploaded a file for you to help locate parts here:

wswells.com/download/9-N-R-T-S-unit-codes.html

The reason for my request for more info was in regards to South Bend and how they phased in,

or introduced new models/features in the series and the fact you mentioned you have tapered gibs

on a 1937.

New castings and improvements were always started with the smaller lathes first.

The tapered gibs were introduced on the 9-inch N series in 1931-32.

As an improvement to the R series, and to replace the N series 9-inch lathes, Starting in approx.

1937, South Bend started the process of replacement of the R series saddle and compound with the new T series which would have tapered gibs in all lathes.

Still listing them in the catalog as R series, but there is a way to discern the difference by the unit codes of those parts, and probably by serial number. The T series can be seen in late 1939 listed with the T-gibs.

Most of the older R series without T-gibs have a base model of 30 or 80, and the newer models have a base of 07 or 09. This is for change gear and gear box models, it’s a little harder to tell the Junior model 22’s as they reused the numbers, but by using the unit codes you can include those in the search.

So, by the file you can see your lathe serial number falls not far from an early model 09 lathe that has a lower revision compound casting unit code number of 17 and then later 07’s and 09’s use the 18 unit code, and also a revised saddle number. But the early serial number has a saddle number of 07, and later in this serial number’s history it was returned to South Bend and they replaced the saddle with a 12, like the later ones. That tells you just about all the models of 07’s and 09’s should interchange with fitting. Also any Junior with the correct unit codes.

On the cross feed nut, I did run into a difference on the tapered gibs while making one for an R series for

A University Trades department in Canada, but was able to work out the height difference between the older R series w/o t-gibs and T series w/t-gibs 9-inch and the Heavy Ten lathe center lines, all three are different, but I believe you can cut down a Heavy Ten and fit it without a problem.

If you have any questions just give me a shout.

Hope this helps.

Steve Wells