Re: Switch Smoke

G K

I have a SB9C that runs on a single phase, 3/4hp, AC, 120+/- volt motor.

Please school me on the advantage and process of going DC.

Greg

On Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 02:24:31 PM CDT, Ondrej Krejci via groups.io <okrejci@...> wrote:

Greetings,

I should like to know, out of curiosity, how many people run their machine tools on direct current or with universal motors as opposed to the general norm of alternating current and induction motors.

OK

On Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 12:15:31 PM EDT, ART <twocan90@...> wrote:

Greg:

I decided to go back and check my repair to the smoking switch, and I found the real problem.

The connection between the "tab" where the output wire from the switch connects to the motor was a riveted connection that worked loose over time.  This loose connection generated heat which heated the wire and weakened the insulation on that wire causing a short to the ground wire which was touching it in the small space of the switch housing.

Hope that helps.

Capt. Art