From: davidwpennington <davidwpennington@...>
Date: 7/10/21 21:13 (GMT-07:00)
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] 9" Model C threading

SB manual...and my trainer...says to set the compound to 29 deg. The advantage is the tool is pressed against both sides of the thread, primarily cutting the left side, and shaving the right. With 30 degrees, there's a possibility of leaving "tree rings" on the right side.

Greg, you did not mention back gear. For such a coarse thread, I'd recommend using back gear and the slowest speed. It doesn't hurt to practice engaging the drive and disengaging it when the planned travel is up. 8 revolutions takes up an inch, and it may surprise you how fast it happens!

Dave