Re: Cutting Off / Parting

rlm_mcv

Those are for a "P" style which is "T" in shape.  Not the correct profile for the old obsolete Williams and Armstrong holders.  I don't think they used what would be called a double bevel as all the bevel clearance is on one side of the Williams/Armstrong tooling.  That is why there different part numbers for right and left versions of the tool steel. Or required sharpening the other end of the steel to use in the opposite direction holder. 
The Johnson grind also mentioned previously is not what was supplied by the originally by the manufacturers either.

These alternate shapes that have been found might "get by", but are not what the holders were designed for.

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 12:28:14 PM CDT, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

https://www.msdiscounttool.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=4224

https://www.westtool.com/search#/catalogue/group/6100?kw=hss%20%20cut%20off%20blade

I have bought from both of these folks & would buy again

animal

On 7/1/2021 9:57 AM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io wrote:
Interesting. While it says "double-bevel" in the title, the description describes it as a "parallel" blade type. I don't need that style, so I'm not going to risk it, but the cost is better, if not what I would call good.

And I wouldn't scrap a lantern tool post, since there are times when it will work better (for some things) than a QCTP. You should have both. "That there funny looking nail has a spiral groove in it's side. I wonder what that's for?"

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 11:28:13 AM CDT, Ondrej Krejci via groups.io <okrejci@...> wrote:

Howdy,

I wrote about scrapping obsolete tooling and someone mentioned scrapping old lathes I presume, but yes, those too, eventually, but first those hideous lantern tool posts.
As for the not-so-mysterious cut-off blade:  it is the 1/2" size, double bevelled 5° at the edges, viz https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00309427 .

Enjoy,

OK
On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 10:53:27 AM EDT, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

You buying?

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 03:10:33 AM CDT, Ondrej Krejci via groups.io <okrejci@...> wrote:

Greetings,

May be it´s time to scrap obsolete tooling and join this century?

Best wishes,

OK

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 12:58:32 AM EDT, John <reproturn@...> wrote:

I’m in Australia and the price of parting tool blade here is outrageous, but not US$56!! OK it is M34 but really…..?

John B

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of mike allen
Sent: 01 July 2021 10:46
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Cutting Off / Parting

$ 56 . for a single parting tool ? That's @ half of what I paid for my QCTP with 5 tool holders . Am I missing something here ?

animal

On 6/30/2021 1:09 PM, rlm_mcv via groups.io wrote:

On Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 2:18:05 PM CDT, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...> wrote:

Looks like it is called a "Johnson Style, Hollow Ground Cut Off Blade" No idea if the 1/2-inch blade is really 1/2-inch. or 12mm.

On Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 01:49:59 AM CDT, John <reproturn@...> wrote:

OK I’m back.

I have an Armstrong No.20 tool and an Armstrong ½ inch blade.

Too hard to escribe the blade profile so I took pic – the blade in the No.20 tool has same profile.

Never tried to post a pic before so I hope it comes through.

The blade measure 12mm top to bottom, 2.25mm wide at the top and 1.55mm wide at the bottom.

Sorry if you likes inches but I find metric easier to use on the vernier.

The bottom is not flat but has a bevel to match the bevel in the tool holder. Likewise the top is only flat for about half the width then has a low bevel. This allows the blade to engage firmly with the cam lock on the tool.

Cheers

John B

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of G K via groups.io
Sent: 30 June 2021 14:06
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io

John,

I assume "not rectangular" implies wider at eh top of the blade than the bottom.  Could you check the dimensions of the blades you have?

Thanks,

Greg

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 10:56:43 PM CDT, rlm_mcv via groups.io <rlm_mcv@...> wrote:

John do your original 1/2" measure the full 1/2" or are they like my 5/8" a bit smaller?   If so what does the groove in your holder measure for height?

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 10:50:38 PM CDT, John <reproturn@...> wrote:

I have some original blades. They were not the regular rectangular kind that is mostly sold today. Armstrong and Williams made a tapered profile blade. If you look closely at the Williams catalogue extract you can see this.

Cheers

John B

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of rlm_mcv via groups.io
Sent: 30 June 2021 13:45
To:
SouthBendLathe@groups.io

I do not have any 1/2" cuttoff steel but a piece of Armstrong brand 5/8" I have only measures 0.59 not 0.625. 

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 10:16:10 PM CDT, rlm_mcv via groups.io <rlm_mcv@...> wrote:

Looking online I find no suppliers of 7/16" but lots of 1/2".  With the manufactures listing the product as using 1/2" also makes it seem as something is afoul here.

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 10:02:43 PM CDT, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...> wrote:

Agreed, but 1/2-inch won't fit in the tool in front of me.  I need to believe the tool in hand over a Armstrong and Williams catalog.

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 09:59:01 PM CDT, rlm_mcv via groups.io <rlm_mcv@...> wrote:

Inline image

I would believe the Williams and Armstrong catalogues before E Bay

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 9:52:09 PM CDT, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

It uses 7/16. See here

Typos are courtesy of autocorrect.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of rlm_mcv via groups.io <rlm_mcv@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2021 10:42:37 PM
To:
SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>

Inline image

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 9:36:34 PM CDT, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...> wrote:

Unfortunately, no go with 1/2-inch. When I measure the opening I get 0.445 to 0.486. Maybe 7/16-inch. Can’t find those anywhere.

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 8:52 PM, wlw19958 <wlw-19958@...> wrote:

Hi There,

As far as I know, the 29 uses a 3/32" x 1/2" cut-off blade.  These
usually come about 4" to 4-1/2" long.  There are lots of them on eBay.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.