Re: Cutting Off / Parting

rlm_mcv

Those are for a "P" style which is "T" in shape.  Not the correct profile for the old obsolete Williams and Armstrong holders.  I don't think they used what would be called a double bevel as all the bevel clearance is on one side of the Williams/Armstrong tooling.  That is why there different part numbers for right and left versions of the tool steel. Or required sharpening the other end of the steel to use in the opposite direction holder.
The Johnson grind also mentioned previously is not what was supplied by the originally by the manufacturers either.

These alternate shapes that have been found might "get by", but are not what the holders were designed for.

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 12:28:14 PM CDT, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

            https://www.msdiscounttool.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=4224

            https://www.westtool.com/search#/catalogue/group/6100?kw=hss%20%20cut%20off%20blade

            I have bought from both of these folks & would buy again

            animal

On 7/1/2021 9:57 AM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io wrote:
Interesting. While it says "double-bevel" in the title, the description describes it as a "parallel" blade type. I don't need that style, so I'm not going to risk it, but the cost is better, if not what I would call good.

And I wouldn't scrap a lantern tool post, since there are times when it will work better (for some things) than a QCTP. You should have both. "That there funny looking nail has a spiral groove in it's side. I wonder what that's for?"

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 11:28:13 AM CDT, Ondrej Krejci via groups.io <okrejci@...> wrote:

Howdy,

I wrote about scrapping obsolete tooling and someone mentioned scrapping old lathes I presume, but yes, those too, eventually, but first those hideous lantern tool posts.
As for the not-so-mysterious cut-off blade:  it is the 1/2" size, double bevelled 5° at the edges, viz https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00309427 .

Enjoy,

OK
On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 10:53:27 AM EDT, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

You buying?

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 03:10:33 AM CDT, Ondrej Krejci via groups.io <okrejci@...> wrote:

Greetings,

May be it´s time to scrap obsolete tooling and join this century?

Best wishes,

OK

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 12:58:32 AM EDT, John <reproturn@...> wrote:

I’m in Australia and the price of parting tool blade here is outrageous, but not US$56!! OK it is M34 but really…..?

John B