Re: Cutting Off / Parting

rlm_mcv

John do your original 1/2" measure the full 1/2" or are they like my 5/8" a bit smaller?   If so what does the groove in your holder measure for height?

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 10:50:38 PM CDT, John <reproturn@...> wrote:

I have some original blades. They were not the regular rectangular kind that is mostly sold today. Armstrong and Williams made a tapered profile blade. If you look closely at the Williams catalogue extract you can see this.

Cheers

John B

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of rlm_mcv via groups.io
Sent: 30 June 2021 13:45
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Cutting Off / Parting

I do not have any 1/2" cuttoff steel but a piece of Armstrong brand 5/8" I have only measures 0.59 not 0.625.

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 10:16:10 PM CDT, rlm_mcv via groups.io <rlm_mcv@...> wrote:

Looking online I find no suppliers of 7/16" but lots of 1/2".  With the manufactures listing the product as using 1/2" also makes it seem as something is afoul here.

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 10:02:43 PM CDT, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...> wrote:

Agreed, but 1/2-inch won't fit in the tool in front of me.  I need to believe the tool in hand over a Armstrong and Williams catalog.

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 09:59:01 PM CDT, rlm_mcv via groups.io <rlm_mcv@...> wrote:

Inline image

I would believe the Williams and Armstrong catalogues before E Bay

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 9:52:09 PM CDT, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

It uses 7/16. See here

Typos are courtesy of autocorrect.