Re: First Cut

rlm_mcv

My thoughts cutter ground wrong and above center.  Also looks like using 1/2 nut instead of clutch for feed.  Not a pro but my guesses.

On Thursday, June 24, 2021, 5:06:22 PM CDT, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

Cutter problem and/or feed problem. Fix one and do another test cut, then fix the other and cut again.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2021 5:33 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] First Cut

Afternoon Guys,

Just made my first cuts on my rebuild South Bend 9c.  First off, thanks to all who have helped me along the way with eh clean-up and reassembly.

Can't seem to get a nice, smooth cut.  Chucked up a 7-inch long, 1-1/2 inch diameter piece of steel I had laying around in an attempt to do the two-collar alignment test.  I used a four-jaw chuck, and adjusted it to sub .001 runout near the chuck.  No support on the tail end.  I faced it off, then started reducing the diameter.

I've been running at 410 rpm
Depth of cut between 0.003 and 0.005
Feed rate of 0..0031
Using a HSS cutter that came with the lathe

You can see from the photo that the surface finish is for sh$t.  Looks almost like a reverse thread.

Any suggestions relative to machine setup adjustments, machine tuning, spindle speed, feed rate, depth of cut, cutter, etc. would be appreciated.  Also, if I can answer any questions, send them on over.  Tough to troubleshoot when you've never done it before.

Thanks a lot for whatever input you may be able to provide.

Greg