sticky Re: 9" Taper Attachment

wlw19958

Hi There,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 09:17 AM, david pennington wrote:
"There is a pin on the fixed end bracket. I cannot figure out its function."
Can you give more information?  I have looked at two parts diagrams
for the 9 Inch and 10K taper attachment (Forms 906L and 1406) and
I don't see any "pin" in the "end bracket" (SBL part no: AS864NK1).

Are you possibly confusing the "bed bracket" (SBL part no: AS862NK2)?
This is the bracket that bolts to the back of the saddle.  There are two pins
that can be used with it (SBL part no: 160X82) which are 1/4" x 1" long
straight pins.

When attaching a taper attachment to a lathe, the bed bracket should be
mounted so that the top surface of the swivel bar runs flat and true to the
ways of the bed (there is some play in the mounting holes in the bracket
to allow some minimal movement for alignment).  Once the bracket and
swivel bar are set and running true, one is to drill and ream through the
pin holes in the bed bracket into the saddle and install the two 1/4" x 1"
pins.  Then, if you choose to remove the taper attachment for some
reason, you can use the pins to relocate the bed bracket and avoid the
necessity of re-aligning the bed bracket and swivel bar when re-attaching
the taper attachment.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb