Re: Making parts for a Telescoping Steady Rest - Part 4 Continued

Steve Wells

Al,

I think Webb is correct, I seem to remember 0.1247 is the reamer size for the 1/8-inch dowel pins.

They used this method in other parts areas also such as the cross slide bearing pre-load retainer bushing, the handle dutchman pins. the apron clutch retainer and others.

Steve

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of ww_big_al
Sent: Friday, May 7, 2021 6:14 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Making parts for a Telescoping Steady Rest - Part 4 Continued

They are most likely taper pins. Used to lock parts in place.

Al

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of wlw19958
Sent: Thursday, May 6, 2021 10:37 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Making parts for a Telescoping Steady Rest - Part 4 Continued

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi There, 

I now have five of the knobs made.  Then I ran out of the proper
size stock.  I've ordered some more (I need to make three more). 

I've drilled the hole for the brass "shoe" (PT1082NT1) and made
some shoes too.  The shoe has the thread pattern on the side that
engages the threaded Adj, Knob Sleeve.

So, I used a tap to do the same thing to the replacement.

I still need to drill the hole for the pin that secures the Jaw Adj. Screw. 

I found out something interesting about that hole.  It has two different diameters!
One side is .125" and the pin has a sliding fit.  The other side, the hole is slightly
smaller so that the pin has a press fit.  I am assuming it is something like .1245"
(at least, I've ordered a reamer in that size).  I have checked two original knobs
and both are this way. 

It make sense to make it this way.  During assembly, the pin can be inserted into
the sliding fit hole and pushed through the hole in the Jaw Adj. Screw (which has
a significantly bigger than 1/8" hole) and then can be pressed home using a hammer
and a punch.

I just thought that it was interesting that South Bend Lathe made them this way.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.