Re: Thrust bearing replacement

Steven H

McMaster.com sells thrust bearings. Anything there that would work?

Steve Haskell

On May 4, 2021, at 11:14 AM, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

Between the front of rear journal and a step on the spindle is a ball bearing assembly. These are rare, and hard to find.
Try TED at latheman2@...m
Now these very seldom get bad. and I would not expect them to chirp unless they are totally without oil.
Try loosening up the aforementioned spindle take up washer and see if the chirp goes away.

At one time Grizzly had them but I think they sold out. They may have replacements but expect the cost to be high.  As I remember, somebody did find a substitute, but that was years ago. Try searching the archives.

On May 4, 2021, at 10:03 AM, ww_big_al <arknack@...> wrote:

OK. My bad. I purchased mine years ago. What thrust bearing are you referring to? This was for the spindle take up bearing.
Al

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of amriensr via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 9:11 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Thrust bearing replacement

The Ebay kink that you provide is for a "Take Up Bearing" not the actual thrust bearing.

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 7:54:56 AM EDT, ww_big_al <arknack@...> wrote:

I converted mine from the fiber washer to a thrust bearing. I purchased it from SteveWB on eBay. Steve provides instructions on how to do it. I consider Steve a very good seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152445466871?hash=item237e7538f7:g:kBEAAOSwawpXsQNz

Standard disclaimer stuff.

Al