Re: Tool grinding

Nick Jonkman

Ken

The postage and padded envelope come to $10.00 US. You can pay by PayPal my account is njonkman@...  Please specify gift and $30.00 US total. You may also send a check or bank money order or cash for $30.00 US  to

Nick Jonkman 5389 Egremont Rd. Wyoming, Ontario, Canada N0N 1T0

Thanks, Nick

On 21-04-18 12:44 AM, ken james wrote:

Ken James
2376 Stearns Way
Medford, OR 97501

Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/17/21 3:59 PM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Tool grinding

It is the Starrett #284 29° screw thread tool gauge. I have 11 to sell. Send me your address and I will get a postage cost for you, then you can send me the money and when received will get it off to you.

On 21-04-17 4:13 PM, mborromeo13 via groups.io wrote:
Hey Nik,

If you have any gauges left I’d get one from you. Please let me know thanks. 

On Apr 17, 2021, at 11:23, Ondrej Krejci via groups.io <okrejci@...> wrote:

Howdy,

At home, I free hand and check against a gauge:  protractor, external thread sample...
At work, I can dress a surface grinder wheel at any angle or use a sine plate.
The replacement acme screw for a clamp at home was a good class 2 fit, all by eye.

Grind on,

OK

On Saturday, April 17, 2021, 11:46:27 AM EDT, Keith Douglass <keith_douglass@...> wrote:

Nick,

I would be interested in an ACME gage as well. You can send me the details at Keith_douglass@....  Thanks!

R/
Keith

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Nick Jonkman <njonkman@...>
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021 7:11:31 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Tool grinding

I ended up with a batch of new Starret Acme thread gauges at an auction. I think they list around $80. If any of you need one $20.00 + postage. I think I ended up with about 6 or more.

Nick

On 21-04-16 5:18 PM, George Meinschein via groups.io wrote:
My wife got me a copy of Tool & Cutter Sharpening by Harold Hall last Christmas and I've been thinking about making a fixture or two. Always been a freehander and have no complaints, but I'm getting the bug to up my game. Bill in OKC - you just reminded me! ACME thread gauge - it's on my list of goodies to add to the tool collection despite no foreseeable need yet.

Thanks,
George Meinschein
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728
gmeinschein@...
Cell#: 732-580-1736

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

-------- Original Message --------
On Apr 16, 2021, 4:35 PM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io < wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

I have yet to find a surface grinder I can afford. I'm still looking. For a V-thread cutter, I've done well enough free-hand. I'm a bit away from doing ACME threads just yet, and at least for the first few, hope to have commercially ground tools to do it. I know there is at least one in my future in class, but I don't know if we grind our own tool for that. I do have an ACME thread gauge. 

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Friday, April 16, 2021, 03:29:51 PM CDT, David R8 <davidwrate1@...> wrote:

I use my surface grinder and a tool makers vise if I need to grind something to a high degree of precision such as an Acme threading tool.

On Apr 16, 2021, at 1:15 PM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

I was lucky enough to take a course that taught free-hand sharpening of tools, as a basic need for any machinist. They did point out that there are tools and fixtures to help get it exactly right, since the course I'm taking is also the opening for their CNC course. If you want precise angles on each face of your tool, for whatever reason, fixtures are the way to go. If it doesn't matter that you get the absolute best results, hand sharpening by eye is fine. Do what works best for you, and what you need to do. 

Honestly, I'd LOVE to have one of the grinders for lathe tools. Unfortunately, they're expensive, and take up a great deal more of my limited real estate than is practical for me. If I ever get to the point where I need to re-sharpen carbide tooling on a regular basis, I will have to revisit that decision.

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Friday, April 16, 2021, 02:50:07 PM CDT, George Meinschein via groups.io <gmeinschein@...> wrote:

Hi all!
Just curious - who uses a fixture to sharpen their tools and who's a freehander? Maybe it's a choice that depends on the job at hand.

Thanks,
George Meinschein
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728
gmeinschein@...
Cell#: 732-580-1736

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

--
-George M.

--
-George M.

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.