Re: Tool post holder

Bill in OKC too

If you're talking about the T-nut to fit a tool post to the lathe, you can do that with a hacksaw and file. I did so for my Atlas TH42. Took me about 4 hours. Was well worth doing. I could have taken it to school and done it there, but it would have been a 3 or 4 day wait, and I was too impatient for that. You will need a file. You can use a hacksaw to rough it out. If you've got a vise you can clamp it in that will help speed things up. I didn't even have a vise where I could get to it at that time. Sharpie would be handy, and a scribe, too. I did mark it out with a pocket knife. I can describe how I did it in more detail if you want, but it is not that hard to do. I also doubt I could have milled it to be as close a fit. This was several years ago, and my skills have improved since, so wouldn't be as much of a problem. 

The guys who made the old machines did much of the work with files, hacksaws, hammers, and chisels. We're lucky, but making something like this with the old methods gives you an appreciation of how far we've come. Several of the old machine shop books have a section on "Bench Work" that describes the use of hand tools for making machine parts. Some cool stuff there!

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Monday, April 5, 2021, 03:37:46 PM CDT, E A <b-arch@...> wrote:

All

Thanks for all the great information. Sure is great to have this asset, especially for someone new to the lathe world!
Looks like no matter which way I go, the T slot plate will require machining. No milling machine, so finding a local machine shop will be the next project.

Just got the quick change gear box together and installed. Down to some minor fitting, aligning and checking that I remembered to tighten everything...

Erik A

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of ART <twocan90@...>
Sent: Monday, April 5, 2021 11:37 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Tool post holder

Hey Eric:

I put a Shars Quick Change Tool Post and tool holders on my SB 9A lathe 4 years ago, and it has been great.

Price was right as well: $136 delivered from Discount Machine Shop
Item No.  202-9474 for the tool post and 5 tool holders.

Contact them for reduced shipping charges as website uses highest
discountmachineshop@... or (630) 443-3244

Good luck with your rebuild,

Capt. Art

On Monday, April 5, 2021, 11:25:00 AM EDT, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

The vendor's website is dreadful. 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Ondrej Krejci via groups.io <okrejci@...>
Sent: Sunday, April 4, 2021 12:10 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Tool post holder

On Saturday, April 3, 2021, 10:45:25 PM EDT, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

Wedge type

animal

On 4/3/2021 5:44 PM, E A wrote:
> Now that my 9A is close to being back together, my mind is jumping to quick change tool holders.
> Looking for advice and opinions on what to get.
> Thanks all,
> Erik A
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.