Cutting the thread to adapt the spindle to the metric collet holder was my one and only try at turning metric threads on that machine.
Quite a satisfying exercise.

The reason I want a 3-jaw available is that I often need to work with hex stock.

On Mar 23, 2021, at 8:06 AM, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

How is your ER40 mounted on your SB9?

Typos are courtesy of autocorrect.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Rick <vwrick@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:52:15 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] source for replacement chuck jaws

Here is the link for a 6” 3 jaw chuck with reversible jaws and a 1 1/2-8 back plate.

https://cme-tools.myshopify.com/products/6-3-jaw-self-centering-lathe-chuck-top-bottom-jaws-w-1-1-2-8-adapter-plate?_pos=26&_sid=93ddda82f&_ss=r&variant=32977641865325

I personally think this is a little large on a SB9.  I would go with a 4” or 5” 3 jaw on this size lathe. Remember, just because it fits doesn’t mean it’s the right size.  I run the above chuck on my SB13, and I think it is an excellent size to that lathe.  On my SB9A, I usually use a 3c or ER40 collet chuck.