Sell both and get a Monarch 10EE.

Enjoy retirement,

OK

On Monday, March 8, 2021, 09:05:29 PM EST, Davis Johnson <davis@...> wrote:

I'm going to jump on to the "keep the 9" bandwagon. The tooling makes all the difference, to replace even part of that for the older lathe. The longer bed is a plus. I've got a three foot 9A and a 3 1/2 foot 10L. They have almost identical distance between centers. Your newer lathe may have as much as a foot and a half more between centers than the older lathe.

On 3/8/21 8:17 PM, Richard wrote:
Your1949 9" bed has another 12" that can be used if for no other reason than a place to move the tailstock out of the way.  The lighter wt lathe should get around to finishing any work that the 1935 heavy bed will do.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Vince Eugenio <vince.eugenio.phd@...>
Sent: Monday, March 8, 2021 9:59 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Which do I keep? 1949 9" Tool Room or 1935 9" Heavy

Hi folks!

I am fortunate enough to be presented with a good problem that I would like the perspective of the group on. I have two South Bend 9" lathes. A very nice 1949 tool room catalog 8644A with a 4ft bed and all the goodies such as taper attachment, collets, chucks, steady rest, face plates with dogs, milling attachment, etc. The other lathe is a very nice 1935 480YN with a 3ft bed with two chucks, face plate, some tooling, and steady rest. It also has the factory maple stand.

For context, I am getting ready to retire in about a year.  I am a former shop teacher who wants to do a little metal working to complement my woodworking, motorcycle and car hobbies. The 480YN is a much more substantial lathe than the 9" tool room, but the toolroom is very well equipped. Much more than the 480YN.

Frankly I am very torn. I am leaning toward one but would like the opinion of the group. Once my decision is made, the other lathe will go up for sale. Thanks for any input!!

--

Regards,

Vince