From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vince Eugenio
Sent: Monday, March 8, 2021 9:59 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Which do I keep? 1949 9" Tool Room or 1935 9" Heavy

Hi folks!

I am fortunate enough to be presented with a good problem that I would like the perspective of the group on. I have two South Bend 9" lathes. A very nice 1949 tool room catalog 8644A with a 4ft bed and all the goodies such as taper attachment, collets, chucks, steady rest, face plates with dogs, milling attachment, etc. The other lathe is a very nice 1935 480YN with a 3ft bed with two chucks, face plate, some tooling, and steady rest. It also has the factory maple stand.

For context, I am getting ready to retire in about a year.  I am a former shop teacher who wants to do a little metal working to complement my woodworking, motorcycle and car hobbies. The 480YN is a much more substantial lathe than the 9" tool room, but the toolroom is very well equipped. Much more than the 480YN.

Frankly I am very torn. I am leaning toward one but would like the opinion of the group. Once my decision is made, the other lathe will go up for sale. Thanks for any input!!

--

Regards,

Vince