Re: Will parts from newer lathes fit a 1913 model 29 lathe?

Steve Wells

No Roger, I was just showing a visual example of what they look like

in case he wanted to make it, or try to acquire the parts

Steve

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Roger Bickers via groups.io
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 5:39 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Will parts from newer lathes fit a 1913 model 29 lathe?

Ive got an old Series O bed hinge bracket and gear cover/door off an old Series O 9", Steve, are you sure it'll fit a 13" gear train? 

Roger

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 9:11 PM, Steve Wells

<wswells@...> wrote:

He can use the later model end gear cover bed clamp and make the cover as suggested or try to adapt a later

13 cover. This is an early Series O, 9 inch cover.

Steve

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of ww_big_al
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2021 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Will parts from newer lathes fit a 1913 model 29 lathe?

That was my thinking also. Cheaper and custom made.

Al

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of rlm_mcv via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2021 7:34 PM

Why not do like they would have done in 1913 if they saw a need?  Bend a strap iron to follow the need perimeter around the gears then weld to a sheet of metal to form the cover.  Then you can add a hinge to open the gear train, a feature lacking on the older lathes.

On Sunday, February 21, 2021, 4:32:55 PM CST, MnM3 <mhelseth@...> wrote:

@Roger Bickers - See below for the head stock end view as requested.  Dimensions added for clarity.  
Sorry about no banjo gear mounted.  If needed, I can add and measure.
Would any other measurements help?

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.