Re: 27" South Bend TURN-NADO

Jim Schwitters

Ted,
Thanks for the reply.  I was hopeful that you would add your expertise.

I'll take your answer at face value, but could you please clarify some of the confusion around where Turn-nados were built.  I've spent a good bit of time reading on the web and various sources claim built in Belgium, Spain, France, Italy and Taiwan, though no source of the info inspires confidence.  I'm specifically referring to 17" lathes made prior to , say, 1990.  17" because this looks exactly like 17s that I have seen pictured except for what look like 5" risers to the headstock, compound, and tailstock making it 27" swing.

Bottom line, it does not really matter to me where this was made since it looks like a good machine.  Really just looking for accurate knowledge.  BTW, this lathe has a two-speed UK made motor with 10/5 Hp.  More Hp than the 7.5 that I have seen on 17" presumably because of the added swing.
Regards,
Jim