Re: 27" South Bend TURN-NADO

James Rice

I believe the Turnados were from Taiwan.  A couple of years ago I used a 17" in welding school beveling pipe coupons for practice and AWS certification tests when I was taking pipeline welding and seem to recall seeing Taiwan on the data plate. I was teasing the instructor about backing my trailer up to the door and rescuing the lathe from all the students' abuse.   Also a vegetable oil refinery and packaging plant I used to work at btook delivery of a new 17" Turnado in the very late 70's or possibly very early 80's.  I remember running power to it from the maintenance shop bus duct but don't remember exactly what year it was.  I was an outside contractor at the plant from 1973 to 1999.

I think that does look like a 17" with riser blocks.

James

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 9:53 AM Jim Schwitters <jrschwit@...> wrote:
Resurrecting an old thread.  I just acquired a surplus mobile military machine shop trailer just like the OP.  Was purchased primarily for the trailer running gear and included generator.

The 27" South Bend Turn-nado lathe has the next serial number in sequence to the OP's.  Entire contents of the trailer, including the lathe, are unused.  The lathe has what appears to be all the accessories and tooling that SB offered at the time, all still in the drawers and original shipping crate.

Trailer and contents appear to be from around 1984.  I understand SB had these lathes made for them and imported, either from Europe or Taiwan.  Anyone know which country this lathe was made?  Not surprisingly, South Bend/Grizzly does not have the build card for this lathe.

Lathe and tooling will be offered for sale as soon as I can get it out of the trailer and sorted.

Jim