Re: Warm left/rear bearing

motopreserveshop

Oh, and for Steve:

Serial number: 7103RKL 13

On Feb 13, 2021, at 11:19 AM, motopreserveshop via groups.io <nortstudio@...> wrote:

Ok. She’s button back up and I’m not exactly sure what to think. I will say it runs quieter. And clearly I needed to address the spindle bearing play.

GOOD:  She’s now within spec (best I could get for a .0005 indicator). I’ll check again tomorrow - a tenth indicator arrives later tonight.

BAD (?) The small bearing is still running warmer than the large (front). I ran it for about 30 minutes on the fastest speed using the large step pulley (3rd fastest speed of 6). It measured at a peak of 118f. And then actually leveled and dipped down to 113f. The entire time the large (front) bearing ran at around 84f.

Not really sure where this leaves me. I’m certainly glad I got the spindles in spec. And I’m still below the 140f zone that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Am I way off here, or is she running as she should?

Thanks for helping me get this far!

Scott

On Feb 12, 2021, at 3:15 PM, Steve Wells <wswells@...> wrote:

Scott,

Here is a new set of felt oilers standing in the wells.

And another with the wires in, ready for the spindle.

What is the serial number of you lathe, I think the “black Plastic”

Comment was my old age…lol that would have to be the fiber washer.

My 10L is a 1968 Tool room and has the fiber washer.

www.wswells.com/photos/1968-10L-swells/16.JPG

www.wswells.com/photos/1968-10L-swells/19.JPG

Steve