Re: Warm left/rear bearing

Steve Wells

Webb,

Form 2002 is for servicing the shell bearings and setting the oil film clearance.

Step 8 and figure 9 are for getting the take-up nut close to the face of the headstock

so you can press on the spindle gear against the shoulder and not push against the

take-up nut! You want the take-up nut, the thrust bearing and the cone pulley free

so you can measure movement in the shell, not having to contend with any force

working to hold the spindle in place. I did state that the form is somewhat misleading

in this area. It only states to make sure the cone pulley is free. Logic rules here,

remember, you attempting to measure 0.0007 as your low limit.

The proper “SBL take-up adjustment” can be seen in this restored parts sheet, it’s for the NK but,

the single thrust bearing R procedure would be the same, it’s from 1957 and,

the only one I can find at the moment. The first link is the restored sheet and the second link is the

original sheet. There are many internal documents and sheets, also blue prints that have written

notes, General Notices(GN) were a great source of information. The last link shows a GN for Parts.

www.wswells.com/download/take-up-nut-adj.pdf

www.wswells.com/download/take-up-nut-adj-SBL.jpg

www.wswells.com/download/10-inch-tailstock-unit-code-changes.jpg

On a different note, are you doing any wood working? I have recovered some of my lost emails

and have some that give the oak collet box measurements with photos I received from another group member.

If you want to see them.

I have fully retired now, and am in the workshop all day…lol

I’m about 5 years behind, ha-ha

Steve