From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of motopreserveshop
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2021 3:08 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Warm left/rear bearing

Oh Steve, if only “sloppy” covered what this guy did to this poor machine! :)

I accidentally found the breather holes right before your last post. Totally filled with paint and crud. All clean now - but the shims (neither old or new) don’t have a hole for them to breathe. Is this correct?

All the passages are now clean. I’ll do one more clean in the morning and then get to peeling shims. I got the scraped surfaces clear and read for fresh shim/caps. Also need to grab some synthetic oil.

I’m debating whether I should tear the entire spindle apart. I figure I should at least check the small bearing sleeve to see if anything is off - although it seems to move as it should and the expander test seemed to check out ok.

Wondering if the hole issue was that the capillary wicks were so low in the channels. It must have been pulling oil somehow because bearings/journals has lube. But they should be riding directly on the spindle, no?

EA & Big Al. I believe the difference between the 9 & 10 would be a poorly place part of the casting to prevent the oiler from spinning left in the threads.