Re: Metric thread dial

Bill in OKC too

You can cut threads to driving the carriage from left to right, i.e, towards the tailstock, too. Eliminates the problem. Saw it mentioned on one of the many groups I belong to just a few days ago, IIRC. Could not tell you exactly how, off hand, but I think you'd use a rear tool post with the cutter upside down. I'll see if I can find it.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Sunday, January 3, 2021, 01:37:11 PM CST, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

Almost every thread I cut is to a shoulder. How do you go about that if you can't disengage the halfnuts? Do you stop the lathe some distance from the shoulder hoping you stop in time or stop far enough to not crash and then hand turn the spindle to get to the shoulder? Perhaps this would be a good operation for left to right threading? I have had the occasion where I would have loved to metric thread but don't have the gears. Maybe in the future.

Bill form Socal