Re: Getting my SB 9C working

glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>

I recommend you do not dissemble your lathe.  I’ve gone through this process with several machines.  These are very simple machines, so Yes, easy enuf to pull the spindle.  But they are extremely high precision instruments.  Particularly one’s like yours with very little wear and tear.  So  BEWARE, if you disturb the factory torque on the spindle bearings, and/or accidentally mix up the shims that control the tightness of the spindle and the headstock bearings,(and you will if you pull the spindle bearings) you will have forever lost the factory settings that made this machine such a precision instrument.

And you will be faced with days to weeks of tedious work learning how to regain proper .002” clearance between the spindle and the bearings- particularly if you have not done this before.  For a new lathe owner, with no machine repair experience, you might never get it back together properly.  (You want the spindle to spin freely, equally, and unencumbered  on all four edges of the headstock bearings, in a .001” to .002” bath of machine oil.)

Even SB, in their”How to Run A Lathe” book, cautioned against casually removing the headstock (spindle) bearings once properly set.  Rather, they recommended pulling the spindle with the bearings intact in the headstock. A rather more laborious process, but one guaranteed not to upset the perfect factory shimming these lathes display when new- which your lathe basically, is.

I think you would be much better off, as others recommend, FIRST flooding the headstock with solvent, and let the old dried oils flush out. Work it by hand, and repeat flushing, until it’s free. Flush and work the backgear pin the same way, until it too, is loose.

I use simple pressurized brake cleaner in an off the shelf can to squirt into the bearings and backgear pin.  You’ll be surprised how quickly this stuff dissolves and flushes dried oil.

Once it’s operable, forget about dissembling until it really needs it: such as when the bearings actually wear out, 50 years from now. Until then, you won’t have a need to disassemble anything, and risk the highly likely chance you will loose what is still very nearly perfect factory settings.

Until then, just make chips and have fun learning how to use your dads machine!

PS, you can use grocery store liquid “Spray N Wash” (sold in 1 qt plastic green bottles) to cut the dried crud and dust off the outer surfaces.  Works so much better than WD 40 or diesel, because of the modern surfactants used in household cleaners these days.

Glenn B.

On Dec 16, 2020, at 7:02 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

        my bad , I missed the last line where ya said ya have the felts & book

        animal

On 12/16/2020 6:56 PM, Rick wrote:
I’m with Mike. Pull the spindle, clean it up, replace the felt wicks.  While you are at it, I’d put in a serpentine belt, the grip so much better.