Re: Will a 9-A leadscrew work for a 9-C to 9-B conversion (no quickchange)?

john kling

For a given bed length the 9a lead screw is shorter than the 9b - the gear box takes up some space. I have seen  people adapt the 9a lead screw to a b set up by turning  fill in shaft for the tail stock end.

On Sunday, March 29, 2020, 9:31:45 PM EDT, Mark Moulding <mark@...> wrote:

(My first post here - be kind!)

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm still a bit fuzzy on one point.  I'm attempting up upgrade my SB 9" model 'C' to a 'B'.  The lathe is in very good shape - a bit dirt from disuse, but no real rust, and very low hours.  I've purchased on eBay a "model A or B" apron, and a "9 or 10K crossfeed screw" (with the gear that my 9C screw lacks).  So I think the only thing I also need is a new leadscrew.  Will a 9A (quick-change gearbox) leadscrew work, or do I need a 9B?

Thanks!
~~

Mark Moulding
South Bend 9" Model C, Walker Turner drill press, Rong Fu table-top mill, "Mini" lathe, a whole bunch of Shopsmith gear