Re: Announcing the Shut Down of Yahoo Groups

john kling

Facebook,  Google, Yahoo and twitter all have large shares of their markets and  are now adopting cartel like policies to curb the flow of information.  I believe that any new home should be chosen with a nod to avoidance of the near monopolies with the attending damage to  competition and the flow of information.

On Thursday, October 29, 2020, 9:16:54 AM EDT, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

I think it is time we close this thread.

We all knew this was coming from about a year ago when Verizon decided to kill the Yahoo Groups. No news here.

Same for the misguided suggestions that were floated to go to Facebook which is not designed for this kind of interaction and information sharing.

We are lucky that Groups IO is here and will stay for the foreseeable future.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of George Meinschein <bustedguns@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2020 8:50 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Announcing the Shut Down of Yahoo Groups

Bill,
I think the recent post that woke this thread up was probably way late to the game. I personally prefer email groups to forums and I have never been on Facebook. Not saying that there's nothing to be had on Facebook, I just don't think it's for me.

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional "C&R Eligible" firearms

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500

Email: bustedguns@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
www.meinscheinengineering.com

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020, 10:59 PM Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Since we're here using groups.io, is there a problem remaining here? GIO does not, I repeat, NOT seem to be going anywhere bad. It works well, let's use it!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 09:51:47 PM CDT, Jeff, wa1hco <wa1hco@...> wrote:

I had to get off Facebook, deleted my account way too much objectionable conte t...any less monstrous option?

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020, 7:02 PM Sam <i.am.sam.sam.i.am2008@...> wrote:
Mark.  Try Facebook Groups.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 7:28 PM mllester325 via groups.io <mllester325=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I apologize if I have missed any discussion about the end of Yahoo groups.
I have learned so much from this group - you guys have been a tremendous resource for me and my 10L.

Are there plans for a new home?

Mark Lester
mllester325@...