Re: New member

Tyler

Welcome Kit,
I also have a 405 (#59162), and unless I am mistaken, someone has replaced your tailstock with one from a later 9".  The 405s usually had the tailstock cast with both sides open which allowed the wrench to be used from either side.  I would suggest double-checking the fit and alignment of your tailstock.

As others said, the gears are 20 DP so later gears will not fit unless you also change the spindle.  The spindle felts should definitely be replaced.  Fortunately, removing the spindle is pretty easy on this model, and if desired, it is possible to use a later headstock.  Keep in mind your leadscrew is LH thread, while the later ones are RH.  This could be an issue if you use a later headstock with a tumbler.

-Tyler

On Monday, September 21, 2020, 9:28:14 AM CDT, Kit Maira <kit.maira@...> wrote:

Just bought my first South Bend lathe. It is marked South Bend Workshop Precision 9” with a 3’ bed. I am told it is a 405, manufactured in 1935. Unfortunately it is missing the reversing stud and gear, as will as most of the change gears. The only gears included are marked Turning Gear 1-5 and Compound Gear 105. I am also missing the reversing stud and gear. I would like to find these parts, without buying the wrong stuff through trial and error. Anyone have these parts for sale?

I was thinking that maybe the gears could be 3D printed as a last resort, but the patterns on Thingiverse are for the later 9” model. I don’t have a 3D printer anyway, but maybe could have them made if someone has done the work already.

In any case, thanks for having me, it is great that this resource exists.