Re: New member

m. allan noah

The 405 should have 20 DP gears, IIRC. But, you should measure the OD and tooth count of your gears to be sure.

allan

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 3:41 PM Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Kit, I've got the 3D printer files from Thingiverse contributor dsell. The info on the gears he designed are as follows: 14.5 PA; 18 DP; 3/8" thick; 1/8" key; 9/16" hole. If you can find the same info on the gears your lathe takes, this will help you figure out if they can work for you. I've still not been able to figure out if they'll work on my Heavy 10L, but it's so far from being usable that's not a priority for me yet. I do have a 3D printer, and hope to be able to get to it one of these days. So far, I've printed one 127 tooth mini-lathe change gear, and several years after having printed it, I still can't tell you if it will actually work on the 7x10 mini-lathe. I purchased the 3d printer to make change gears for that, and my Atlas TH42, before I got the Heavy 10L. It should work to print them, also, but I'm not educated enough in the right areas to really figure that out yet. And there is the whole can't reach much of anything including the 3d printer.

There is a group I started that might help you, you'd be welcome to join, if interested. https://groups.io/g/3D-Printing-for-Metal-Hobbyists/topics

I had planned on having all that sorted out by now, but my back has not been cooperating, and COVID-19 has made it harder to get the treatments that might solve the problem for a while, anyway. I do have an appointment this week to get another set of nerves burned, and that may let me do stuff again. I hope. If it works out, I'll be playing with mine again, and may be able to help you too.

Seems to me Steve Wells has some info on the various sizes of change gears SB has used, but I need to go do some stuff for SWMBO, who has her own medical problems, including much worse back troubles than mine.

HTH!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Monday, September 21, 2020, 09:28:13 AM CDT, Kit Maira <kit.maira@...> wrote:

Just bought my first South Bend lathe. It is marked South Bend Workshop Precision 9” with a 3’ bed. I am told it is a 405, manufactured in 1935. Unfortunately it is missing the reversing stud and gear, as will as most of the change gears. The only gears included are marked Turning Gear 1-5 and Compound Gear 105. I am also missing the reversing stud and gear. I would like to find these parts, without buying the wrong stuff through trial and error. Anyone have these parts for sale?

I was thinking that maybe the gears could be 3D printed as a last resort, but the patterns on Thingiverse are for the later 9” model. I don’t have a 3D printer anyway, but maybe could have them made if someone has done the work already.

In any case, thanks for having me, it is great that this resource exists.

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"