Re: New member

John Dammeyer

I'd suggest you clean it up and add a spindle sensor and X/Z drives and use LinuxCNC or MACH to automate it.  You can still do manual operations with a CNC controller.  If you don't want full automation then something like my Electronic Lead Screw will replace the gears.

I have my South Bend  Heavy 10LTumbler in neutral and the single lever gear box not engaged.  A single pulse per rev sensor on the spindle and a 2:1 belt drive from the 300 oz-in stepper motor to the lead screw.  Also a 1 HP VFD on the spindle with just manual knob for speed control.

Because my South Bend has a taper attachment I never bothered adding the cross slide for fully automatic turning and tapering.  And I haven't engaged the gears in over 5 years.  But again it depends on what you want to do with the lathe when you are done.

For example:

To create a new internal tapered pulley for my mill I first made a keyed arbor between centers.

http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/SpindlePulleyArbor.jpg

On that I turned a tapered hub with a 1.5mm thread that matched the clamping nut on the mill.  Metric thread on a 1942 imperial lathe.

http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/Arbour-2.jpg

Terribly porous casting.  Comes from only doing it once a year.  But the pulley blank fits perfectly on the arbor.

http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/SpindlePulleyBuild-2.jpg

Tool just clears the pulley blank for turning.

http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/SpindlePulleyBuild-1.jpg

Both spindle pulleys done without gears on the lathe.

http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/NewPulleys-1s.jpg

John Dammeyer

"ELS! Nothing else works as well for your Lathe"

Automation Artisans Inc.

http://www.autoartisans.com