Re: Gera box Double lever 13" South Bend HELP !!

Roger Bickers

Sounds like it could be as simple as something stuck between the gear teeth on two or more gears. Did anything make a noise? Maybe a wild chip got up in there from underneath when you last cleaned it?  The gear box isn't all that difficult to remove.  The hardest part will be getting and keeping the worm gear key in place for the leadscrew to slide over . The alternative to that is dropping the apron face too.
Have you got a small flashlight and a mirror?
Look up underneath the gearbox. Roger

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 4:37 PM, L L Haynes
<ironhorse18@...> wrote:
I just realized that Jim B. is who posted the parts picture.
Thank you Jim !

steve

On Monday, September 7, 2020, 12:38:49 PM EDT, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

I have disassembled a 16" i think the gears are the same. Can you post a picture of the CQ

GP

On Monday, September 7, 2020, 11:58:46 AM EDT, L L Haynes <ironhorse18@...> wrote:

I have a 175 CL 13"  6' S.B. lathe.  While taking a cut, .015", on mild steel the gear box  appeared to lock up.  I discovered the left tumbler { A,B,C,D } had ceased and when dis-engaged was difficult to turn the upper cone shaft gear..  Has anyone had any similar or like problem in this area?  I'm in the middle of a project and do not want to remove the gear box if I don't need to. In the manual the tumblers slide on the lower shaft. item number "64"  parts list "Gear Box Double Tumbler 13".  Has anyone removed this shaft or know how to remove it?  I really need some help here folks.  All responses are appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
   steve
Cell  304-709-4991
email:  ironhorse18@...