Re: how do I clean and polish a lathe bed

Andrei

Just for cleaning off grease, walmart purple power works well

Typos are courtesy of autocorrect.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>
Sent: Sunday, August 2, 2020 2:36:19 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] how do I clean and polish a lathe bed

I use Safeway “Spray and Wash” in green squirt bottles. These new household ecological friendly formulations are the best ever for removing dried machine oils.  Spray it on, let soak for a few minutes. Scrub, scrape off. Repeat a couple of times if necessary.  It’s very mild on exposed skin and doesn’t strip the finish.

So, No need to strip the original paint in order to just clean it up.

I cleaned up and repainted an old 18” x8’ Cincinnati tray top lathe in Hawaii last year that ran in the Doyle Pineapple cannery in Honolulu for 60 years, using a variety of solvents. Turned out thenSpray and Wash treatment was the best to cut through the accumulation of 60 years accumulation of oil, swarf and dirt.

Glenn

On Aug 2, 2020, at 11:22 AM, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

I have had decent results with the safe stripper from home depot. It cleaned some old south bend parts to the metal with only 2 applications. Left it overnight, wrapped tightly in a garbage bag so it did not dry out. Overkill? Dunno.

Typos are courtesy of autocorrect.