Re: Increasing the speed on Southbend 10-16” Models. Late 1930s-late 1940s.

glenn brooks

Iam a little confused as to if reply is related to the original question about increasing speed on SB 10’s, or you have some trouble getting the VFD to work?

Dave, you mentioned your VFD is problematic.  Are you asking about a VFD that doesn’t work, or doesn’t increase the required RPMs?

If it doesn’t work, and it is  a 110v to 220v TECO, and it trips out and shuts off when you try to start it - there is likely a GCFI plug in your house circuit that is causing the issue.  110v TECO’s don’t work with GCFI plugs. A low voltage signal in the TECO unit fools the GCFI into believing it’s a short and the GCFI trips itself.  So replace the GCFI with a standard receptacle and you’ll be good to go.

If it’s a speed issue, then never mind... wouldn’t know what to look at, except possibly something to do with the programming setup.

Glenn

On Jul 9, 2020, at 3:15 PM, slash2nut via groups.io <lore724@...> wrote:

I am new to my Heavy 10, machining and VFD's.  My SB 10L is from 1967.  I believe the motor to be original, 1hp wired for 460v 3 phase.  I hooked up a TECO FM50 to it.

Can you explain why a pre-1992 motor is problematic with VFD's?  I will be buying a tach but what rpm's do you think I am getting on my 1hp 220 3 phase motor with my TECO?

Thanks
Dave in MI
All the VFD users will come out now and point out how it’s easier and better to go that route but my simple phase converter only goes from 60Hz down and my motor is pre-1992 which makes its use with a VFD problematic. This only costs $30.