Re: 9A lever collet closer - spindle pin

Bill in OKC too

That collet closer seems to be sticking too far out the back of the spindle. There should be a nosepiece that the collet goes into the screws on the front of the spindle,  like in the 4th photo here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend9-inch/   and the manual here for the 1216 shows no gap at the back of the spindle: chrome-extension://ohfgljdgelakfkefopgklcohadegdpjf/https://d27ewrs9ow50op.cloudfront.net/manuals/sb1264_m.pdf

It may not the the correct one for your lathe. Which would suck. I am not sure where the nosepieces are for my 10L, or I'd post a photo of them, but they look much like the one in the pdf, and fit in the spindle. pretty close, IIRC.

HTH!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

picture is too small to see anything in it.