Copyright date

-8
Jim B,

On Jun 5, 2020, at 11:08 PM, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

Printing date or copyright date?

Typos are courtesy of autocorrect.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Jim_B <jim@...>
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2020 10:55:59 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Instruction Manual

Except some versions I posted date to the late 50’s.

-8
Jim B,

On Jun 5, 2020, at 9:51 PM, Steven H via groups.io <stevesmachining@...> wrote:

Regarding copyright of HTRAL: I am not a lawyer, but I will put in my two cents anyway.

Reading a history of South Bend found at www.southbendlathe.com it says the the authors of HTRAL are John J. O’Brien and Miles W. O’Brien, two identical twin brothers. According to the history, Miles died in 1936. John died in 1946.

Now, reading a Wikipedia article entitled “Copyright law of the United States”, the article reads “Copyright protection generally lasts for 70 years after the death of the author”.

1946 + 70 = 2016, so presumably HTRAL would now be in the ‘public domain’ and no longer under copyright protection.

I have numerous hard copies of HTRAL, so I don’t need any electronic pdf files of same.

Steve Haskell

On Jun 5, 2020, at 6:32 PM, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

HTRAL is in the files section.
Actually it  very early copy. I have several later ones, SB tended to revise this paper frequently,  but have been reticent to post them due to copyright issues. However perhaps the time has come to do so.

On this group of posts I have received, the following:

Hello,

ra?????????.com wishes to inform you that the following message:

https://groups.io/g/SouthBendLathe/message?id=167082675

is objectionable. They entered the following reason why it should be considered objectionable:

----
This person is a known scammer, he posts on tons of groups to sell face masks etc. He will post a legitimate question to get un moderated then comes the selling posts.
----

Please take a moment to review and take action as you feel appropriate for your group.
Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

The poster has been put under constant supervision and all future posts must be reviewed and approved.

JIm B.

On Jun 5, 2020, at 3:02 PM, milan.v.trcka@... wrote:

Since this is a South Bend lathe group, I am assuming that this may help - Although differing in details, principles hold no matter what lathe you may be interested in:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/3789.pdf

Google query "how to run a lathe" is an excellent start.

Milan

Jim B.

--
Jim B