Re: Cross slide and compound backlash

Steven H

Loosen up the gibs on compound and cross slide slightly and set up mag base and dial indicator on front or rear face of slides. Push and pull on slides, read wear on dial indicator at various positions on the screws. New nuts should improve the backlash. The nuts are bronze and meant to take the brunt of the wear rather than the screw.

Steve Haskell

On May 16, 2020, at 8:15 AM, houdini via groups.io <houdini969@...> wrote:

Matt, crossfeed nuts are on e-bay for the going price. i would start there and with the nut you can see if in fact the crossfeed screw is worn, or if budget permits buy one of the complete assy.

On Saturday, May 16, 2020, 04:21:11 AM EDT, Matt R <mrissmiller@...> wrote:

I am in the process of tearing down, cleaning and seeing what needs replaceg on my SB 16/24. Is there a way to measure the nuts on the cross slide and compound to see how bad the wear is? I have the one screw out and can wiggle ithe nut 15 or 20 thou on the screw up and down and lengthwise. The screw looks to be in good shape on the entire length. So do I just need new nuts to get rid of the backlash?