Re: Old Machine restorations

Guenther Paul

I have a 16" south bend that i bean working on for a while. I need to step up the process and get her done. I have one question about the finish on the main machine casting. When i stripped the paint some of the putty that was used came of.
Back years ago flour and shellac was used to get the casting smooth. I bean using light weight bondo but i have not stripped all the old stuff of. Will the bondo hold on the old stuff. I would like your input please. I do use the lathe only for bigger items