From: ww_big_al <arknack@...>
Date: 30/03/20 03:36 (GMT+12:00)
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Weekend tractor restore project

Yes. It was a good little history lesson. It’s nice to know why something was installed which is in common use today

Al

Date: 30/03/20 01:56 (GMT+12:00)

Gissaclue!  Nor familiar with the Furguson range of tractors - what does the high low ratio lever have to do with engine starting and how do you use it to break your foot in a manner that an interlock prevents, please?

During the build period for these, British purchase tax was very high.  Cars were luxury goods, tractors weren't, so tractor spares were cheaper than car spares.  Lots of farmers ran standard Vanguard cars as well as Fergies for parts commonality.

Eddie

On Sunday, 29 March 2020, 13:00:42 BST, nzpropnut <skilton.adscan@...> wrote:

Hi Phillip,

That machine had a 2.2 litre British Standard Vanguard engine in it - petrol powered.

First owner was a Taranaki (NZ) dairy farmer - I was the 2nd owner.

With the front loader & the mowers I earnt plenty of beers with it!

Also found out the hi-lo ratio lever starting interlock was installed by order of Henry Ford after he broke his foot starting a Massey-Harris-Ferguson at a show!

Useless Information.

Cheers,

Tony