Re: Oil help

Nelson Collar

For spindle?

On Monday, March 23, 2020, 10:22:33 PM CDT, Jim Schaffroth via Groups.Io <beeeeeee4@...> wrote:

For spindle? Gearbox? Ways?

On Monday, March 23, 2020, 6:40:19 PM PDT, Nelson Collar via Groups.Io <nel2lar@...> wrote:

I'll start with the question asked in previous message. Quote "Why not just buy the correct oils?"
 The biggest problem with that is shipping cost as much as the oil. Well a very good friend turned me onto a mixture that has served me for many years very well. That mixture is 50/50 Marvel Mystery Oil and 30 weight Non-detergent oil. The last time I looked at the store in passing and both sold for less than $5 each yielding less than $10 and I did not need to look for Fed-X. Try it you might like it!
Nelson

On Monday, March 23, 2020, 04:46:26 PM CDT, Harley Schlinger via Groups.Io <old1940@...> wrote:

Amen, docent Canada have eBay or Amazon? I love my 14.5 South Bend  but you guys on this site ride a subject to death and still keep going, I have read 11 post on this subject and just looked and there is another 25 to read yet get of the subject and go work on your Lathe.

Harley

On Monday, March 23, 2020, 12:07:35 PM PDT, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

Why not just buy the correct oils?

They are available, not super expensive, and you can find them in small  quantities online, either at eBay or Amazon.

I am having a hard time understanding the need to overcomplicate and modify a solution that already exists and has worked fine for decades.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Terry McCreary <tmccreary@...>
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2020 2:57 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Oil help

Just wondering; has anyone tried adding one of the stiction-reducing oil
additives to non-detergent oil, as a substitute for real way oil?  Hot
Shot and REV-X are two brands. A bit expensive ($US25-30 for a quart)
but might be worth trying if you live where real way oil is hard to get.

Best -- Terry

--
Dr. Terry McCreary
Professor Emeritus