Re: Pearl Harbor WWII SB 10 L markings

Sam

I hope you have a succession plan in place for all your info.

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 8:21 AM Steve Wells <wswells@...> wrote:
Glenn,
Copy of old post on the subject:

In the serial number file, which I am always several years behind on, I only
list the information I am provided with. The posts with my personal opinions
are also kind of old when we were first chatting about the stamps. My
opinions are subject to change…lol, and I have flipped flopped somewhat on
this subject in regards to the JAN stamp, which would/could appear to be a
military spec stamp. Inspectors at the military arms or provision suppliers,
used their initials. The inspectors could be military or military employed
civilian, not important, the point is they are inspection and acceptance
stamps. See info below.

It is well known that SBL was a major machine supplier with the Navy.

Listed Inspection stamps found on SBL machines:

AROTUL USA,  DPC 10
DWW, JFP
D.W.W, W.E.F
D.W.W. , F.W.M
D.W.W & J.F.P.  U.S.N. Property
D.W.W. , J.F.P. USA-HEW,  Defense Plant Corporation tags for Boeing Corp
D.W.W.,  US, navy stamp (ANCHOR)
D.W.W., D.R.M, US, navy stamp (ANCHOR)
FWM
JAN
JAN, JOD
JBL
J.B.R
JFP
JFP, DWW
JFP, LOR & Flaming Bomb
LQR
LOR, JAN
LOR, JOD
L.O.R., J.F.N., US, navy stamp (ANCHOR)
LOR, JFP
WEF
WBL,  DETRO DPC T 505
US 47,  J.A.N
Property of USAF 875747

Web search Info found on Inspector stamps:

For Sale: Oficial U.S. Navy inspector's hammer with dies at each end. The
large die is 1 3/16" W x 1 6/16" H. The small die is 9/16" W x 9/16" H. The
mark stamped on an item indicated it has passed inspection.

It is reported by companies that made these items during WW II, that the
inspectors kept these tools under lock and key, and that they never had
access to them. At the end of the War, when the inspectors left the plants,
this tool went with them

JAN = joint Army-Navy [specification]

Inspection and acceptance marks:
The US Navy 'Anchor' stamp indicated the item had been inspected and
accepted by the US Navy.
The U.S. Navy's inspector's mark -- the initials "U S" with a small anchor
between

Small arms of the United States Army and Navy bear an initial or initials
which are called inspector’s marks. These marks appear on stocks, grips or
metal parts. Some arms, especially older ones, have more than one inspector’s
initial or initials.

The Army and Navy purchased arms from commercial outlets and also contracted
directly with the manufacturers. The Navy also purchased some arms from the
Army. From the early days of 1831, most small arms contract inspectors were
civilians or Springfield Armory employees. Officers who served as inspectors
were from the Army Ordnance Department or the Navy Bureau of Ordnance. There
were also sub-inspectors who had regular jobs at Springfield Armory, and
small arms inspection was in addition to their regular duties. Army or Navy
inspectors had control over all sub-inspectors.

It must be noted that in some cases, these inspectors are civilian
personnel. Others will be military personnel

Initials    Name, Title                         Period

SPS       Sidney P. Spaulding, Lt. Col., USA- 1940
RS        Robert Sears, Col., USA- 1940-45
MS        Maurice Sherman, Armory S-l-   1940
LAS       Laurence A. Stone, Lt., USA- 1940
GHS     Gilbert H. Stewart, Col., USA- 1938-40
CES      Clarence E. Simpson, Armory S-l- 1939
ECP      Edward C. Perry, Armor) S-l- 1937-40
WCO      Warren C. Odell, Armory S-l-    1939
RSJ       Robert S. Johnson, Armory S-l-   1940
SLG      Sidney L. Gibson, Lt., USA-  1941
SGG      Samuel G. Green, Lt. Col., USA- 1939
JKC       John K. Christmas, Lt. Col., USA- 1942
JJC       John J. Callahan, Armory S-l- 1940
AC        Alexander Cameron, Armory S-l-940
WAB      William A. Borden, Lt. Col., USA 1936-39
WB       Waldemar Broberg, Col., USA-  1941
JAB       John A. Brooks, Jr.., Lt. Col., USA- 1940
FJA       Frank 1. Atwood, Lt. Col., USA- 1943-45

Steve Wells
The SBL Workshop
www.wswells.com