Re: Pearl Harbor WWII SB 10 L markings

Steve Wells

Glenn,
Copy of old post on the subject:

In the serial number file, which I am always several years behind on, I only list the information I am provided with. The posts with my personal opinions are also kind of old when we were first chatting about the stamps. My opinions are subject to change…lol, and I have flipped flopped somewhat on this subject in regards to the JAN stamp, which would/could appear to be a military spec stamp. Inspectors at the military arms or provision suppliers, used their initials. The inspectors could be military or military employed civilian, not important, the point is they are inspection and acceptance stamps. See info below.

It is well known that SBL was a major machine supplier with the Navy.

Listed Inspection stamps found on SBL machines:

AROTUL USA, DPC 10
DWW, JFP
D.W.W, W.E.F
D.W.W. , F.W.M
D.W.W & J.F.P. U.S.N. Property
D.W.W. , J.F.P. USA-HEW, Defense Plant Corporation tags for Boeing Corp
D.W.W., US, navy stamp (ANCHOR)
D.W.W., D.R.M, US, navy stamp (ANCHOR)
FWM
JAN
JAN, JOD
JBL
J.B.R
JFP
JFP, DWW
JFP, LOR & Flaming Bomb
LQR
LOR, JAN
LOR, JOD
L.O.R., J.F.N., US, navy stamp (ANCHOR)
LOR, JFP
WEF
WBL, DETRO DPC T 505
US 47, J.A.N
Property of USAF 875747

Web search Info found on Inspector stamps:

For Sale: Oficial U.S. Navy inspector's hammer with dies at each end. The large die is 1 3/16" W x 1 6/16" H. The small die is 9/16" W x 9/16" H. The mark stamped on an item indicated it has passed inspection.

It is reported by companies that made these items during WW II, that the inspectors kept these tools under lock and key, and that they never had access to them. At the end of the War, when the inspectors left the plants, this tool went with them

JAN = joint Army-Navy [specification]

Inspection and acceptance marks:
The US Navy 'Anchor' stamp indicated the item had been inspected and accepted by the US Navy.
The U.S. Navy's inspector's mark -- the initials "U S" with a small anchor between

Small arms of the United States Army and Navy bear an initial or initials which are called inspector’s marks. These marks appear on stocks, grips or metal parts. Some arms, especially older ones, have more than one inspector’s initial or initials.

The Army and Navy purchased arms from commercial outlets and also contracted directly with the manufacturers. The Navy also purchased some arms from the Army. From the early days of 1831, most small arms contract inspectors were civilians or Springfield Armory employees. Officers who served as inspectors were from the Army Ordnance Department or the Navy Bureau of Ordnance. There were also sub-inspectors who had regular jobs at Springfield Armory, and small arms inspection was in addition to their regular duties. Army or Navy inspectors had control over all sub-inspectors.

It must be noted that in some cases, these inspectors are civilian personnel. Others will be military personnel

Initials Name, Title Period

SPS Sidney P. Spaulding, Lt. Col., USA- 1940
RS Robert Sears, Col., USA- 1940-45
MS Maurice Sherman, Armory S-l- 1940
LAS Laurence A. Stone, Lt., USA- 1940
GHS Gilbert H. Stewart, Col., USA- 1938-40
CES Clarence E. Simpson, Armory S-l- 1939
ECP Edward C. Perry, Armor) S-l- 1937-40
WCO Warren C. Odell, Armory S-l- 1939
RSJ Robert S. Johnson, Armory S-l- 1940
SLG Sidney L. Gibson, Lt., USA- 1941
SGG Samuel G. Green, Lt. Col., USA- 1939
JKC John K. Christmas, Lt. Col., USA- 1942
JJC John J. Callahan, Armory S-l- 1940
AC Alexander Cameron, Armory S-l-940
WAB William A. Borden, Lt. Col., USA 1936-39
WB Waldemar Broberg, Col., USA- 1941
JAB John A. Brooks, Jr.., Lt. Col., USA- 1940
FJA Frank 1. Atwood, Lt. Col., USA- 1943-45

Steve Wells
The SBL Workshop
www.wswells.com