Re: Found on Dallas Craigslist - 27" SBL

Steve Wells

The Turn-Nado serial numbers can be misleading sometimes, I haven’t completed my research on them yet.
Still collecting data and numbers. the lathe listed in the video by Sterling (great company) is a 2000 year I believe.
After the original 17 Inch, they made a 20 inch also, then in the late years they had 14, 16, 18, 22 and advertised in 1998, they would build a Turn-Nado
from 10 to 50 inches for you. Man would I like to see a 10” to 14” for sale somewhere.

Steve

Sent: Saturday, February 8, 2020 3:48 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Found on Dallas Craigslist - 27" SBL

The plaques riveted to it mention "South Bend Lathe Company South Bend, Indiana" and "An Employee Owned Company".  The patina and design - to me it just looks like a lathe that would have been made in South Bend.  And the serial number appears to follow the same pattern as other later production SB machines.  However, there is no mention of a machine bigger than 17 inch in Steve Wells' database. 

I'm certainly no expert on the subject - this is all just enjoyable speculation. 

Bernie

On 2/8/2020 2:19 PM, James Rice wrote:
It's been listed for months now.  Same price which is about the retail price quoted by South Bend/Grizzly.  It's only 15 minutes from me, I should call them and check it out. 

James

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 2:05 PM <bclong7@...> wrote:
Claims it is NOS.  Not involved - just passing this along....

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/tls/d/sadler-new-southbend-27-engine-lathe/7052505638.html

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.