Re: stuck chuck

John Losch

Bill, and all,

Bill’s advice has worked for me on the two or three occasions where I encountered a “chuck problem.”  This includes my antique 14” 1912 Whitcome-Blaisdell lathe with a Horton 3-jaw chuck supposedly dating back to the civil war.  Don’t make unreasonable demands of a precision headstock to remove a stubborn chuck.  Plot before you plunge!

On Jan 10, 2020, at 4:40 PM, Bill in OKC too via Groups.Io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

find a chunk of hex stock, big allen wrench would work, clamp it in the jaws of the chuck, and use a wrench to break it loose. May want to use a deadblow hammer, or big rubber mallet to whack the wrench.

Use tension on the belts to hold the spindle from turning, would be my advise.

HTH!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Friday, January 10, 2020, 3:23:45 PM CST, Steven Karvelis <steven_karvelis@...> wrote:

Hello everyone, I was making some improvements to the Harbor Freight drill pump and was going to change over to my 4 jaw chuck. Normally I would engage the back gear spindle insert my chuck key into it's socket and the chuck would come loose.Well not this time, I even put a piece of 3/4" round stock in the jaws for a little more leverage but no luck, wouldn't budge. My machine is a SB 9A with 48" bed. Anyone out there ever have a problem like this, any suggestions? I have a strap wrench but I'm not sure if I will gain any more leverage. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Steve K