Re: Southbend 9" lathe table in CONCRETE?

Bill in OKC too

Many thanks for posting that! It is the first example of results I've seen for such an adventure, and it looks quite promising! I'd hoped for such, based on my experience with lathes larger than the 9" & 10" SB lathes. I've not used a South Bend lathe since my high school machine shop class, closing on 47 years ago. In the class I'm taking now, they have Clausing Colchester 13" & 15" lathes. The "small" lathe is about 2700lbs, the larger ones 3800lbs, and my restoration project 10L is about 1000lbs. Not likely to be as spaghetti as my 267lbs Atlas TH42, but not as stiff as the 13" CC, either. I've gotten some good finishes from the 13", which I use most of the time as it's as close as I can get to what I have at home, and I can't afford to buy anything bigger, for now, anyway.

The Atlas is on a 3'x8' light steel table with a 1" thick baltic birch plywood top on 1/8" steel. My HF 7x10 mini-latheand Atlas MF horizontal mill will be there, too. The 10L came with one of the WWII tubular steel cabinets, which is a couple of hundred pound, and I don't see how it could be as stiff as the cast iron stands that they used to come with. Lathe is vintage 1941. Stand is probably a bit newer, but not verifiable, as the design was was submitted for patent in late 1939. My intent is to use the stands I have for now, and if I ever get a shop with a floor that won't crush under a little weight, I'll see about a bigger/heavier stand for both lathes. Though maybe not the 2-ton monstrosity he mentions and we've discussed a bit earlier.

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Thursday, January 2, 2020, 7:13:27 PM CST, Harry Ruble <bmw635csi@...> wrote:

So I have finally started building a new bench for my 9a. The base is a 2" tube steel platform that will become the foundation for the 4" thick concrete top. Here are the steps I have so far. Step 1. Start a concrete countertop hobby/part time business. While this step is optional (and somewhat ...
www.practicalmachinist.com
This is a link from pm that I believe shows some finish results latter in the thread. Very heavy bench that did seem to help.

Harry

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Nick Jonkman <njonkman@...>
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2019 6:15 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Southbend 9" lathe table in CONCRETE?

Here is the stand I built for my 9A. It is of 2" square tubing with some
angle supporting the tool box.It has 5 legs, 4 around the tool box and
one at the tail stock end. I suppose it probably about 50 pounds and the
box probably adds about 100 pounds. I have a nut welded in the bottom of
each leg wit a 1/2" bolt in them so adjust the legs so they all touch
the floor. the plate at the top and the small piece under the tail stock
are 1/4" thick, The tray plate and back are 1/8". I have no issue with
chatter.  The weight of the tool box probably dampens it. I love it. I
first built it for a 6" Atlas which I sold and then adapted it for my
SB. It worked out fine but I don't have as much space left of the head
stock now. Nick

Join SouthBendLathe@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.