Re: Southbend 9" lathe table in CONCRETE?

Guenther Paul

Al
You have to consider you have a small lathe. I have no problem taking 0.100 cuts or more depending on the type of material. A lot has to do with the type of cutting tool you use and how you sharpen it. I am not a fan of carbide but do use it. A 3/4 in bench top is not enough thickness to mount the lathe on.. I can understand your mounting bolts coming lose. Like i said before i have mine mounted on a 1 3/4 solid core door slab, i have no problems. If you think concrete is the solution poor a slab 2" thick, Just make sure you have re-bar  in the concert you can poor it like a concrete counter top, but why all this work and expense. When you mount the lathe have the mounting bolts go all the way threw the slab
GP

On Monday, December 30, 2019, 9:19:32 PM EST, ww_big_al <arknack@...> wrote:

I would say just try it. If it don’t work you learn and try something else. Would be the first time I wasted $25 or $50 trying something. Let us know how it works out for you. We can all learn then.

Al Knack

On Dec 30, 2019, at 5:57 PM, Dale Scroggins <scrof@...> wrote:

Guenther, I want to reduce or eliminate chatter.  I realize that other factors contribute to chatter, but if I can eliminate one cause at low cost, why not do so?  Material costs about $25.

I live in a region that has big humidity swings and have no air conditioning in my shop.  Metal things bolted to wood tend to loosen.  My lathe is currently through-bolted to a 3/4 plywood bench top.  That's how it was mounted when I got it.  When it starts moaning in a cut, the first thing I check are the leg bolts.  They often have loosened up.  Doubling up on the plywood or using a solid core door would likely make the bolt loosening problem worse.  I know that keeping the wood sealed would help, but that's a lot of work.  That's one reason I went to cement board siding on our house a few years ago.

I like the wheels on this lathe bench.  I can keep them, I think, if the lathe is isolated from twisting as the bench is moved around.  I can do that with one bag of concrete mix.