Re: Southbend 9" lathe table in CONCRETE?

david pennington

Dale, my lathe was mounted on 3/4" plywood, supported on a rectangular perimeter and across the center. It was bolted with bolt and nut. That was too flimsy.

I looked at the SB recommended table top and could not obtain/afford the maple butcher block top, so I glued two layers of 3/4" plywood together and sealed all 6 sides with spar varnish. The bolting of the lathe to the table top is with 3/8" bolts and T-nuts. I kept the original 3/4" plywood layer on top of the glued assembly. I've had that setup for about 5 years and through four moves.

The work I do on the lathe is generally instrument making, so I don't attempt heavy cuts, but I do some work at the limits of precision for the lathe.

One thing I have not attempted is to make my lathe/cabinet assembly movable. It's set it up to stay put.

Hope that's encouraging.

Dave

David W. Pennington
Denver, Colorado
815-382-1994

On Monday, December 30, 2019, 4:31:58 PM MST, oscar kern via Groups.Io <kernbigo@...> wrote:

It's a lathe not a grinder get real, your over thinking