Re: Southbend 9" lathe table in CONCRETE?

Guenther Paul

Just what are you trying to machine on your lathe? All this concrete bit is not necessary. I have a 10" mounted on a 1 3/4 solid core door slab, Never had any problems its bean like that for years

GP

On Monday, December 30, 2019, 12:34:32 PM EST, Steven Schlegel <sc.schlegel@...> wrote:

Dale, yes, please report success or failure of your stand.

Roger, you make some key points. Don't rely on the concrete to support the weight.  My purpose for using concrete was to deaden the lathe, so making a steel frame table with a concrete insert for the table top and maybe some frame pieces passing under the mounting positions on the lathe for added strength sounds doable.  The question then is how heavy would the concrete slab need to be to deaden the lathe bed. I think the concrete would be in compression and transferring the weight to the steel members.

Steven

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Dale Scroggins <scrof@...>
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2019 1:02:05 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Southbend 9" lathe table in CONCRETE?

I bought 9" C model, 42" bed, about 20 years ago, but am just now putting it into full service.  I retired a few years back, and no longer have free access to machine tools.  I was an engineer, working for an aerospace company.  If you use CATIA, you likely know the company name.  Weight matters in the industry.

I believe a 2" slab, 36" long (just long enough to support the feet) and 10" to 12" wide should provide all the stiffness the lathe needs.  One 80lb bag of mix, remesh, polymer admixture, maybe glass fibers.  Total weight about 100lb.  The rest of the bench top will be wood; 3/4 plywood substrate, topped by ripped 2x4s on edge to match slab height.  Bench frame is an existing steel weldment.  On wheels.  Will report if it works.  And may report if it doesn't.