Re: Southbend 9" lathe table in CONCRETE?

Jim_B

The issue I have always had with wood is that it expands and contracts with moisture.
Different woods at different rates.
Even the same kind of wood from different trees expand at different rates. Since it only takes a few thousandths of difference to cause twist it must be carefully used in a bench.
Wood does not expand MUCH along the grain but it still does move.
I have more than one door that’s tight in the summer and free in the winter.
You MIGHT improve things if all 6 sides of each piece of wood are painted.

Plywood is more stable.
I believe OSB is also good. Perhaps Melamine coated particle board is more stable.

If the legs are all out of the same blank that would help some.
I would prefer metal supports, myself. Using Melamine to control chips but not to mount the lathe.

I think cement would be nice BUT once done, you have placed the machine for posterity.

-8
Jim B,

On Dec 27, 2019, at 6:10 PM, Bill in OKC too via Groups.Io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

It would be interesting to test and see what difference, if any, it made in the accuracy of the lathe.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Friday, December 27, 2019, 04:17:08 PM CST, Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining@...> wrote:

Here is a photo of what appears to be a concrete lathe bench with an Atlas-Craftsman lathe on top. Not my lathe, just a photo I found on-line some time back. Personally I think it's overkill. But concrete is relatively inexpensive so knock yourself out should you choose to go this route. Good luck.

Regards,
Steven R. Haskell