Re: Southbend 9" lathe table in CONCRETE?

mike allen

        don't see why not

        animal

On 12/27/2019 7:37 PM, Vince Beachy wrote:
Hey everyone,

New guy here, with some thoughts.  I really like this idea as I have some experience in tying rebar together and making forms.

If you were to put some sealer on the top and have some channels/gutters could you also make a coolant system built into it?  Thoughts?

Vince

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019, 9:48 PM Bill in OKC too via Groups.Io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You ain't kidding! Though you could put shelves between the columns. I've seen a photo of one that was cast in one piece, similar to the one Carla described in the PM link someone posted earlier, and it just had a depression for a toe-kick, with maybe a bit of room for knees, too. Probably at least half again as much concrete as the one with the Atlas lathe on it. I'm thinking something like that would run close to half a ton by it's lonesome. I though I had a photo of that, but can't find it. If I ever do, I'll send it to the group. I've been looking for it for years.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Friday, December 27, 2019, 07:46:32 PM CST, harry molwitz <harry.molwitz@...> wrote:

Might be tough to move around the shop, I would be certain of the positioning. It also seems to limit storage underneath.

Harry

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019, 6:11 PM Bill in OKC too via Groups.Io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
It would be interesting to test and see what difference, if any, it made in the accuracy of the lathe.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Friday, December 27, 2019, 04:17:08 PM CST, Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Here is a photo of what appears to be a concrete lathe bench with an Atlas-Craftsman lathe on top. Not my lathe, just a photo I found on-line some time back. Personally I think it's overkill. But concrete is relatively inexpensive so knock yourself out should you choose to go this route. Good luck.

Regards,
Steven R. Haskell