Re: Drill press spindle run out

Phillip Rankin

Bill;
To really get an idea of what run out is on the inside of the quill I need to measure two places (one deep in the MT2 socket, and one near the outer edge). I can probably set my DI up to measure the outer edge but I don't have an indicator to reach up in the socket to get that reading. Best I can do for that is insert a straight rod with a MT2 taper into the socket and indicate off of that. That was the whole idea behind using the drill bit in my previous video. That particular drill runs about as close to true as I could hope for when inserted into the MT of my lathe. It's Friday. I'll see if I can set up the DI to read the outer edge. My guess is 10-20 thou out.

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 11:58 AM Bill in OKC too via Groups.Io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
What I'd really like to see is a video of the indicator running in the taper of the quill. A chuck that only has .003 runout is a fantastic chuck. But I won't blame you if you don't want to play anymore. There is a very limited amount of shop time available, and the more you spend satisfying my prurient curiosity, the less time you have to do things you want or need to do for yourself. One of the problems of social media is that the denizens can eat up all your time without half trying! Have a Happy New Year!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Friday, December 27, 2019, 11:37:15 AM CST, Phillip Rankin <phillip.rankin1964@...> wrote:

The twist drill runs straight and true when mounted in my lathe spindle. get your bronc riding saddle ready for the wild ride on the dial indicator. Here are a few videos measuring run-out using three different Chuck's, and the same 4" long 1/2" round bar.

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019, 8:46 AM Bill in OKC too via Groups.Io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Did you actually check the quill, or just the drill shank? Twist drills are REAL easy to bend, even in the larger sizes, relative to a rod or cylinder of the same diameter. The solution might be as simple as getting a new drill bit.

Too bad  you're not closer, I could have maybe gotten a great deal on a drill press! ;)  Or at least helped you check it out.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Thursday, December 26, 2019, 09:30:29 PM CST, Phillip Rankin <phillip.rankin1964@...> wrote:

Well Bill,
 I am not exactly close to Oklahoma City. Denham Springs, LA is about 650 miles from your abode. I won't spend any more time on the quill, but I will keep an eye out for a replacement. There will be a cheap 14" Chinese donner drill press show up sooner of later. I'm in no hurry. I do more drilling on my lathe than on the drill press, but it is nice to be able to drill a hole in a vertical plane instead of a horizontal plane from time to time.

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019, 1:59 PM Bill in OKC too via Groups.Io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
OK, so no sentimental attachment, but have you priced a decent drill press recently? Yikes!

Another poster has a suggestion that looks pretty good to bring that one back, at reasonable expense, but it's work you could do yourself, probably. Shaper or mill (or both) would be seriously helpful, but it can be done on the lathe alone, if necessary.

Or you could offer it for free on Craigslist or one or more of the Yahoo or GIO groups. Lots of people with more time than money would love to have it. If you're not too far from Oklahoma City, I'd be interested. ;)

That's how I got my big antique. It still cost me, I had to buy an engine hoist to get the pieces out of my truck, but I've used them both enough to make it worthwhile.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)