Re: Southbend 9" lathe table

david pennington

I have pictures and will make an explanatory sketch...stay tuned.

In the meantime, I will describe the idea. I wanted to be able to adjust the height and tilt of each lathe foot relative to the other. To accomplish that, each lathe foot rests on a pair of plates that can be adjusted for separation and tilt. There are bolts--fairly long--that run from the feet through the plates to secure the whole to the table. The adjustment is accomplished using bolts that run from beneath the table, up through threads in the lower plate, to press against the upper plate. This requires two adjustment bolts for each of the four mounting bolts, one on either side.

Pictures and sketch(es) to follow.

Dave

David W. Pennington
Denver, Colorado
815-382-1994

On Saturday, December 21, 2019, 8:43:39 AM MST, ov10fac <ov10fac@...> wrote:

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and great ideas.  I now have enough to start my design process.  I am actually thinking of machined 2X4 top in a butcher block type configuration.  That gives me about a 3" top.  I will use the suggestion in the designs of using a series of rods across the table to add strength and rigidity.  I will then add a 3/4 MDF or plywood surface for added strength and stability and finish it off with a 1/4 " hard board sacrificial top.  That should give me the rigidity I think I need and the smoothness to allow me to do a pretty good job of leveling.  As I said, I won't be doing real precision work (no bearings or any thing like that) at least until my skills improve so this should be adequate for my purposes so I'm not too worried about extremely precise leveling.
The base will be made from more machined 2X4s laminated together to give me about 3X3 legs.  Cross pieces will be joined with mortise and tenon reinforced with dowels through the tenon.  That's about as far into the thought process I have gotten.
Again, many thanks for the ideas and suggestions.
As an aside, I would be interested in the leveling method David mentioned.  If you could describe that I would be appreciative.  I too am a little geeky!!