Re: Drill press spindle run out

Bill in OKC too

Did you actually check the quill, or just the drill shank? Twist drills are REAL easy to bend, even in the larger sizes, relative to a rod or cylinder of the same diameter. The solution might be as simple as getting a new drill bit.

Too bad  you're not closer, I could have maybe gotten a great deal on a drill press! ;)  Or at least helped you check it out.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Thursday, December 26, 2019, 09:30:29 PM CST, Phillip Rankin <phillip.rankin1964@...> wrote:

Well Bill,
 I am not exactly close to Oklahoma City. Denham Springs, LA is about 650 miles from your abode. I won't spend any more time on the quill, but I will keep an eye out for a replacement. There will be a cheap 14" Chinese donner drill press show up sooner of later. I'm in no hurry. I do more drilling on my lathe than on the drill press, but it is nice to be able to drill a hole in a vertical plane instead of a horizontal plane from time to time.

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019, 1:59 PM Bill in OKC too via Groups.Io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
OK, so no sentimental attachment, but have you priced a decent drill press recently? Yikes!

Another poster has a suggestion that looks pretty good to bring that one back, at reasonable expense, but it's work you could do yourself, probably. Shaper or mill (or both) would be seriously helpful, but it can be done on the lathe alone, if necessary.

Or you could offer it for free on Craigslist or one or more of the Yahoo or GIO groups. Lots of people with more time than money would love to have it. If you're not too far from Oklahoma City, I'd be interested. ;)

That's how I got my big antique. It still cost me, I had to buy an engine hoist to get the pieces out of my truck, but I've used them both enough to make it worthwhile.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)