Re: Southbend 9" lathe table

david pennington

I was thinking the same thing about twist.

-------- Original message --------
From: mike allen <animal@...>
Date: 12/21/19 11:29 (GMT-07:00)
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Southbend 9" lathe table

            just remember leveling is not as important as making sure there is no twist in the bed . twist = taper

        animal

On 12/21/2019 7:43 AM, ov10fac wrote:
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and great ideas.  I now have enough to start my design process.  I am actually thinking of machined 2X4 top in a butcher block type configuration.  That gives me about a 3" top.  I will use the suggestion in the designs of using a series of rods across the table to add strength and rigidity.  I will then add a 3/4 MDF or plywood surface for added strength and stability and finish it off with a 1/4 " hard board sacrificial top.  That should give me the rigidity I think I need and the smoothness to allow me to do a pretty good job of leveling.  As I said, I won't be doing real precision work (no bearings or any thing like that) at least until my skills improve so this should be adequate for my purposes so I'm not too worried about extremely precise leveling.
The base will be made from more machined 2X4s laminated together to give me about 3X3 legs.  Cross pieces will be joined with mortise and tenon reinforced with dowels through the tenon.  That's about as far into the thought process I have gotten.
Again, many thanks for the ideas and suggestions.
As an aside, I would be interested in the leveling method David mentioned.  If you could describe that I would be appreciative.  I too am a little geeky!!